Based on 95 street interviews, here's the prodominant thinking about spiritual matters:
- No creator-God, but maybe a higher power of some kind; our origin is through evolution, beginning with the Big Bang.
- Purpose of life is to help one another and create a better and more just society.
- Bible is an ancient collection of stories for some religious people who still find it helpful.
- No absolutes except government law; everything else relative to the situation; no sin against God in the biblical sense (mostly just human mistakes).
- No hell – maybe some kind of heaven – but no one can know before death.
- Spiritual but not religious; pick-and-choose, design a personal spirituality that works for you.
This thinking poses a huge communication problem in presenting the gospel today:
If there's NO creator-God ... NO absolute truth ... NO sin ... and NO hell ... then why need a Savior?